How is Homestay different than tenancy?

If you are living in the same dwelling as your landlord you are considered a roommate and not a tenanct and are not protected by the Residential Tenancy Act.

However, if your Homestay includes a separate suite in the same house as your landlord, the Residential Tenancy Act does apply to you. The difference is the degree to which you share space and facilities with your landlord. If you share common space such as a kitchen, bathroom, or living room with your landlord then you are not a tenant, you are a roommate. If your living space is completely separate from your landlord you are a tenant protected by the Residential Tenancy Act.

In the vast majority of Homestay situations, you will be living with your host family and sharing common space and, therefore, not covered by the Residential Tenancy Act. This means similar to living in residence rights such as privacy proctection, eviction notice, dispute resolution and more are not guaranteed. You must abide by the rules and regulations set out by your homestay family as long as they fall within legal activity.

For more information about the Residential Tenancy Act, click here.

How do I apply to live in Homestay?

To apply for the Homestay Program at TRU, go to TRU World and fill out Homestay Application booklet. Click here to go to TRU World.

I’m having an issue in my Homestay.

If you are having an issue in a homestay situation contact your Students’ Union by filling out the Members’ Advocate Contact form.