Who Can Vote

The next general local government election is October 20, 2018. You can vote in the election in Kamloops if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are 18 years of age or older on general voting day 
  • have lived in BC for at least six months
  • have lived in Kamloops for at least thirty days
  • are not disqualified by law from voting


Voting Locations

Campus Voting

Campus Voting will take place at a Special Voting Opportunity on the TRU campus on Wednesday October 17, 2018 from 11am-3pm in the TRUSU Lecture Hall. The location is indicated in the map below.

General Voting

General Voting Day is Saturday, October 20, 2018. There are fifteen voting locations open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, with the exception of Sahali Mall, which will offer voting hours between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm. 

Voting Locations:

  • Lloyd George Elementary School, 830 Pine Street
  • Heritage House, 100 Lorne Street
  • Sahali Mall, 945 Columbia Street West
  • South Sahali Elementary School, 1585 Summit Drive
  • Aberdeen Elementary School, 2191 Van Horne Drive
  • Dufferin Elementary School, 1880 Hillside Drive
  • Valleyview Secondary School, 1950 Valleyview Drive
  • Dallas elementary School, 296 Harper Road
  • R.L. Clemitson elementary School, 5990 Todd Road
  • Arthur Hatton Elementary School, 315 Chestnut Avenue
  • NorKam Secondary School, 730 12th Street
  • Parkcrest Elementary School, 2170 Parkcrest Avenue
  • Westmount Elementary School, 745 Walkem Road
  • Arthur Stevenson Elementary School, 2890 Bank Road
  • Rayleigh Elementary School, 306 Puett Ranch Road

Click here for a map of all voting locations. 


Voting Process

To vote in a municipal election in Kamloops, all you have to do is go to the campus voting opportunity on October 17 from 11am-3pm or visit a voting location on Election Day, between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm and present two pieces of identification, at least one with your signature and one with your address, to the registration clerk, your name will be recorded and you can cast your ballot. On the ballot, do not vote for more candidates than there are candidates to be elected; however, you may vote for less than are required (ex. you can vote for a maximum of eight Councillors, but may choose to vote for only six Councillor candidates).

Here are the kinds of ID that are acceptable:

  • BC Driver’s License*
  • BC ID card from Motor Vehicle Branch
  • ICBC Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle License
  • BC Care Card*
  • Status Card
  • Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8
  • Social Insurance card
  • Citizenship card
  • Property tax notice
  • Credit card or debit card
  • Utility bill for electricity, natural gas, water, telephone or cable services
  • Income assistance cheque stub showing name and ID number
  • Statutory declaration or sworn affidavit (from a notary public, lawyer, or commissioner for taking oaths)

*Please note: The combined BC Driver’s Licence and BC Care Card will be considered as ONE piece of ID.