Breaking Bread is a new project from the TRU Students’ Union that connects students with community leaders through small group discussion around shared topics of interest. The first Breaking Bread was held on December 11, 2019 with City Councillor Arjun Singh and six students who discussed “Opportunities for Climate Action at the Municipal Level”.
The questions considered in the group included:
- What role do you see for municipalities to address climate change?
- What is currently happening to address climate change in municipal government in Kamloops as well through the Union of BC Municipalities?
- Thinking big – where would you like to see Kamloops at in 2050 in how we address climate change?
- How are municipalities impacted in their work on climate change by changing governments and priorities at the provincial and federal levels? For example did the results of the federal election have the potential to impact what it is possible to do municipally?
- Given our conversation today, what would everyone like to see moving forward at the municipal level to address climate change?
- This discussion was an opportunity for all participants to learn from one another and share their own experiences and ideas. Moving forward the Students’ Union will continue to host Breaking Bread discussions on a wide range of topics.
If you are interested in being a part of a future discussion, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re also happy to hear from you if you have a great idea for a discussion topic or community leader to get in touch with.
For more information or any other questions contact:
Vice President External