How is on-campus residence different than tenancy?

Residences at educational institutions are one of the exceptions to the Residential Tenancy Act. The residence management and the university set the rules and regulations for students living in a residence. Rules and rights will vary from one university to another and from one residence to another at the same university.

It is important to remember that because of this exemption any rights that you would normally have as a tenant are not guaranteed unless they are expressly outlined in your residence agreement. This includes privacy protection, eviction notices, dispute resolution, and more.

For example, under the Residential Tenancy Act, when a landlord wants to enter your suite, they must provide the tenant with a minimum of twenty-four hours written notice, but in an on-campus residence, staff can enter your suite for any reason they deem necessary without providing any notice. Under the Residential Tenancy Act a landlord is only allowed to request information that is reasonably required to determine whether to rent to an individual or not. In contrast, living on campus, a residence is often able to access your grades, academic status, any allegations of misconduct, your response to allegations of misconduct, your federal and provincial student loan status, your student number, and your photograph.

When you move into a residence at an educational institution, you will be required to sign a residence agreement. This agreement will be different at every residence. It is very important that you review and understand all of the terms in your residence agreement before you sign it. Any rights or responsibilities you have as a resident will be outlined in this agreement.

Like the Residential Tenancy Act, these agreements outline the rules and regulations for living in an on-campus residence. By signing the agreement, you are agreeing to abide by rules outlined in the agreement itself, as well as those in the respective handbook. Never sign the agreement unless you read and understand the terms of the agreement and the handbook. Contact your Students’ Union if you have difficulty understanding any of the terms and we will meet with you to ensure that you understand what you are agreeing to.

*PLEASE NOTE: Upper College Heights is not a residence at an educational institution. It is an apartment complex. If you are living at Upper College Heights, you are protected by the Residential Tenancy Act and your landlord must abide by those guidelines. If your landlord is not abiding by those guidelines contact the TRUSU Members’ Advocate or the Residential Tenancy Branch immediately.

What are the residence options on campus?

There are two options for on-campus housing at TRU. The Thompson Rivers University (TRU) Residence is the newest residence on campus. It is situated at the back of campus near the Students’ Union Building. The McGill Residence is located across from the Tournament Capital Centre and behind the Science Building.

*Please note: Upper College Heights is not a residence option.

I’m having an issue in residence.

If you are looking to appeal a decision made while being a resident in on-campus housing, fill out the Members’ Advocate Contact form and contact your Students’ Union.