Breaking Bread is a project from the TRU Students’ Union that connects students with community leaders through small group discussions around shared topics of interest.
On September 23, 2020 the Union hosted local counselor Deandra Dey to lead a discussion with students on the evolving role of counselling in the modern world.
Questions considered by the group included:
- Have you faced new or different mental health challenges since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What are the challenges and opportunities of distance counselling?
- Is increased social isolation changing the conversation about mental health?
- What are some of the barriers to seeking counseling and how do you find the right type of counselling and counsellor?
- What are some emerging challenges that new counsellors have to grapple with?
- What are some strategies to prevent burnout as a counsellor?
If you are interested in being a part of a future discussion, let us know at email@example.com. We’re also happy to hear from you if you have a great idea for a discussion topic or community leader to get in touch with.