Breaking Bread is a project from the TRU Students’ Union that connects students with community leaders through small group discussions around shared topics of interest.
On August 12, 2020 the Union hosted CBC’s Doug Herbert to lead a discussion with students about The Role of Media in 2020. Doug is a seasoned journalist, anchoring radio shows and reporting from the field throughout his career.
Questions considered by the group included:
- How is the media portraying issues like the COVID-19 pandemic and the Black Lives Matter movement? Are media organizations doing a good job?
- Do media organizations have a responsibility to curate what they report on?
- Do people see most media sources as biased in different ways?
- What are some of the differences between traditional media and social media?
- How is it different working for public media like the CBC vs. private media organizations?
If you are interested in being a part of a future discussion, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re also happy to hear from you if you have a great idea for a discussion topic or community leader to get in touch with.